Friday, November 05, 2010

Chalk - Web based drawing 'app' for iPad





If any of you follow my twitter feed, you might have already seen this from there, but after playing around with it some more I feel it's worthy of a full blog post.

37signals were inspired by their own offices in creating a new app for the iPad called Chalk. It's a simple chalk-board with white and red chalk, and an eraser. It doesn't sound like much, but it really does everything you want a drawing app on the iPad to do as far as I'm concerned. While other apps try to get fancy, this goes to the basics, and of course, it's free, yay!

They've also found a way to circumvent Apple by making the app web based. Before you complain though, my iPad is wifi only, but as long as you bookmark the page, you can access it all the time, on or offline. You can save your pictures as well, which is nice.

It's a nice, clean and simple, everything I look for in a well made app. They had an idea and executed it brilliantly. Even my wife (who isn't always a fan of technology, despite buying me the pad), who sometimes gets frustrated with certain apps and just starts hitting the screen with all her fingers was able to use this with no trouble nor instruction.